Live from Baghdad

My adventures in Iraq.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Election Day

Well, yesterday was interesting. That was definitely the most "incoming" we've had since my arrival. Although I've been told it was nothing compared to September 12th last year when they "celebrated" 9/11. By now you've probably heard two Americans were killed and 5 wounded when a mortar hit the Embassy compound. Of course, the press always screws that one up and terrifies my wife. See, technically I live adjacent to the US Embassy. That is, I live next to the "official" embassy - a small building, probably the former home of a powerful member of Saddam's government. When the press talk about the Embassy compound, however, they are referring to the Embassy Annex also known as the "Palace". This is the sprawling former Republican Palace, seat of Saddam's government. It's about 2 miles from my compound so I'm relatively safe.

Just thought you'd like to know.